Training is taken seriously. Development of skill in the Southern Mantis systems demands dedication and commitment. To foster a class atmosphere that will help everyone get the most out of their involvement with the school, Sifu asks that the following guidelines be observed:
- Arrive a little early to training. Classes start at 6:15. If you are running late still make the effort and come to practise
- Turn mobile phones off during class.
- Never touch any of the weapons unless invited by Sifu or a senior student.
- There is time to talk with other students after class. Be polite and friendly but remember that people are there to train.
- Always refer to Sifu Paul Brennan as “Sifu”.
- Listen to Sifu or Sihing (senior students). Don’t make excuses or be disrespectful when a senior is explaining a technique- stop training and try to understand what they’re trying to help you with.
- Concentrate on your own training. Try not to breed the spirit of competition with fellow students
– the real challenge lies within yourself.
- Swearing and joking are in-appropriate while in class.
- We are all brought up with manners, it is advised to use them
- The key to training is, just turn up!